Monday, April 03, 2006

Insomnia

It is 11:45 on Sunday night, and I am WIDE AWAKE. I don't know what my deal is. I had a short little nap this afternoon, but usually those don't mess me up for my "real" sleep at night. I just know I spent the last hour laying [is it "laying" or "lying"???] in bed, trying to get comfortable, with my mind racing a mile a minute. I can't get my brain to shut up. I prayed for a while. It was a little warm in my room, even with the window open and a fan blowing cooler night air in. So I gave up and came downstairs with my furry companion, Jasper [who has since disappeared underneath the couch] to spend some quality time with.....my mac. So.......here I am, blogging. In the dark. Which makes it difficult at times to find the right keys when I get my fingers off the keyboard. Oh, and when I try to use all those "special" keys like: , ; : ]..... you get the idea. And I am pretty sure my eyes will hurt later from the eye strain. A brief disclaimer: I can in no way be held to whatever makes its way into this post--it is late, and I am most likely delirious and/or delusional, haha. So....this post will self destruct in 30 seconds......or something.....

So, what does one talk about in the soon to be wee hours of the morning?

Crud, I keep hitting the comma key when I want to hit the period key. This makes for very slow typing. It would be kinda nice if my keyboard lit up or something. Or I guess I could always turn on a light. Nah.... I don't want to get up.

Well, that's nice. The lovely voice of my mac just informed me it was 12:00. I have it set up for "Vicki" to tell me the time every hour. Quite nice. Her voice is soothing.

Anyway..... I believe this will be a very random and mixed up and odd post indeed.

My back really hurts. That could be a reason for my late night. I made an attempt Saturday to clean up all the leaves in my front "yard". I don't think anyone has ever tried to rake the leaves at this place. EVER. There must be 3 or 4 seasons of leaves piled up. Okay, maybe I am exaggerating a little, but there are a BUNCH. I say that I attempted the task, because I really didn't get much accomplished. It barely looks like I made a dent in the job, but I spent SEVERAL hours on Saturday morning working on it. I have the sore back muscles to prove it.

I had thought at first that I could just rake all the leaves from the front into the woods behind my place. I first tried the easy route: Leaf Blower. But the leaves were so wet and so many, that the blower was pretty much useless. So, it was manual labor time. My idea to rake the leaves to the back turned out to be a BAD one. I soon realized that I was wasting much time and energy constantly raking the same leaves into larger and larger piles, only to move those piles into new piles closer and closer to the back.

I then decided a trip to Lowe's was in order for some of those handy dandy yard waste bags. I went as is, covered in leaf....juice. I grabbed a pack of them, thinking there were 10 in the bag. There were only five. Five leaf bags. They were quickly filled, and you can't really tell that the leaves came from the yard. I think there are about 20 more bags worth of leaves still piled up. And I am NOT exaggerating there. So sometime soon, I will have to finish the job. And if any of you reading this post feel sorry for me, ;) I could really use the help. Thanks.

Even though I got a blister on my thumb and a sore back, it actually felt quite good to get in there and do manual labor. I know its not a big deal raking leaves [well, then again, with my leaves, maybe it is....], but it felt really good. I hurt, but its a good hurt. I have always enjoyed the occasional "hard labor". Don't tell my folks that, though. I remember as a kid I would spend more time dragging my feet and complaining about picking up rocks in one of my parents' fields than actually picking up rocks. Did anyone else have to do that? Or was that a special torture reserved for those who grow up on farms? I just know I did NOT enjoy spending Saturdays in the summers picking up rocks. My brother and I would pick a spot clean, and then my dad would come along with his pick axe and do a little digging. The spot would be covered in rocks again. I hated that pick axe.....

Wow, how did I get off on that tangent?? Random...

Ok, this post is probably getting rather long. Its 12:20. I think its time to go find something else to do. I am still very much awake. I hope this doesn't make me horribly tired tomorrow.....

I don't really feel like going back over this to check my spelling and look for grammatical errors. Sorry...you all will just have to live with the mistakes.... :) :) hahahaha

6 Sagacious Sayings:

At 4/03/2006 8:18 AM, Blogger anne Chuckled and said...

There is nothing worse than when you can't shut your brain off. I felt the same way last night, but not for quite as long. Nor did I get up. I think I probably should have.

And I so wanted to get out into my garden this weekend to clean out the leaves and muck and get it more ready for the spring, but it was just too chilly still. Good for you for working so hard!

 
At 4/03/2006 9:24 AM, Blogger Shelli Chuckled and said...

AAAAGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! You should have called me...I was WIDE AWAKE TOO!!! I could not fall asleep last night. (which is never fun...especially with a sleep apnia mask on! Grrrr...)

Whats our deal?

 
At 4/05/2006 10:01 AM, Blogger David Chuckled and said...

I would be a millionaire if I had a dime for every rock I had to pick up when growing up. My fam had about 13 or so acres and 3 or 4 of them they wanted rock-free. They always came back though. My term for this activity was chunking rocks. Oh, and sticks too! I had to do sticks...

 
At 4/05/2006 10:05 AM, Blogger terra Chuckled and said...

Lol! I totally had to pick up rocks. My dad's thing was back when it cost $3.00/hour for AOL (back in like 1997) so it really added up fast... he would give me $3.00/wheel barrow of rocks picked up, or an hour of AOL. There is no telling how many barrels of rocks I picked up in my youth. But they always "grew" back. It always seemed like you picked up rocks and then the very next day it was like all these baby rocks sprang up. :)

 
At 4/05/2006 11:46 PM, Blogger sarah j. Chuckled and said...

I am fully convinced that there are male and female rocks and they have babies....

 
At 4/06/2006 1:01 PM, Blogger Superchikk Chuckled and said...

We called it "Rock Torture" at our house. My parents had buckets with lines on them...you had to fill the buckets to a certain line before you were finished. No kidding. And sticks, too. And any other form of physical labor they could think up. Mom always said she had so many kids so she would never have to do chores again. And I don't think she was kidding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home